A brilliant week in Year 1!

Friday 16th May | 4 comments
0

The children had a brilliant time exploring Blackhill Woods. They all had the opportunity to use a compass and map to find jigsaw pieces. They had fun leading each other blindfolded around a string trail and made great dens using leaves, sticks and moss for a minibeast. They also were very skilled at making natural trails for each other to follow. Please see our separate blog post for photographs of our adventure in the woods. Thank you very much to all the parents who came with us – we hope you had a great time too.

In literacy the children have begun to write their own pirate story. They have planned their story on a ‘story mountain’ and they had to think about their characters, the setting, a problem, a solution and an ending! They have all written the beginning of their story and have tried hard to remember to use good sentence openers, connectives and adjectives to make their story interesting and exciting for the reader. Your child will be able to share their story with you next Thursday at one of the sharing sessions.

We have been practising our number bond and doubling skills this week in numeracy. Most of the children are getting very confident knowing these facts to 10 and 20. Maybe you could keep practising at home? The children like quick fire questions – What is double 10? What goes with 16 to make 20? The children have been using number bonds to help them solve calculations e.g. 3 + 2 + 7 = and 20 – 13 =.

Remember it is our Pirate Day on Monday. Your child may come to school dressed as a pirate – a stripy jumper and a pair of jeans is fine. In the morning they will be learning about grids and using co-ordinates and in the afternoon they will be going on a treasure trail all around our school grounds. You are all welcome to join in the fun at 2.15pm. Please sign in at the Reception desk and then go into the school hall to await instructions from the pirates – Big Bad Barbara and Good Girl Pirate Pearl!!

Have a lovely weekend.

The Year 1 Team

4 responses to “A brilliant week in Year 1!”

1. Zoe (Ruby's mum) says:

Ruby has really enjoyed telling me all about number bonds and has shown me how the class have been shown to solve sums… I am really impressed with her numeracy skills….she has taught me a thing or two! Best if all she seems to really enjoy doing it and it sounds like the whole class have enjoyed numeracy too…well done 1GJ!

2. Rosie - Amelia's Mum says:

I enjoyed the school trip to Blackhill Woods too ! I am also looking forwards to some pirate fun this afternoon.

3. Karl - Evie's Dad says:

Evie really enjoyed telling me, in detail, how she built a bug tent and where she used the moss. I wish I could have been there it sounded like a lot of fun.

4. Ollie Webster says:

I had a brilliant time at Blackhills. I liked it there. Thanks 1GJ for letting us go on the trip. The thing I liked best was everything !