Poetry and multiplication in Year 1!

Friday 11th July | 13 comments
0

Our week started with the super medieval banquet – we hope you all enjoyed it. The children had fun making the potage. Did it taste nice? Please see separate post for photographs of the busy day.

In literacy we have been focusing on poetry. The children have been busy writing acrostic poems about Castles and the World Cup. Some children have also written alliterations based on castles and they thought of some great ideas – “jolly jesters juggling” “pukey potage” “pretty princesses prancing proudly”

We have revisited multiplication in numeracy and most children are becoming more confident at solving problems by sharing and multiplying. The children used counters and drawings to help them answer the calculations. Can your child quickly work out 3 lots of 2 or 5 x 3?

In PE we have been practising for Sports Day – bouncing on the space hoppers is everyone’s favourite race! Your child should have brought home a letter explaining what is happening and which team they are in for sports day. Please can you make sure that your child has appropriate footwear for outdoor PE – some children had to run in their sandals last week!

The children are excited about the World Cup final. In 1D Dylan has Germany and James has Argentina. In 1GJ Miles has Germany and Ollie has Argentina.  Who will win?

Have a great weekend – only 7 days left until we break up!
The Year 1 Team

13 responses to “Poetry and multiplication in Year 1!”

1. Barbara Illingworth says:

I have really enjoyed reading about all the exciting things you have been doing! This blog is a great way for me to catch up on all your news! Enjoy your last 7 days in Year 1!

2. Nicole (Katie's Mum) says:

I can’t wait to read Katie’s castle poem. The medieval banquet was great fun and I really enjoyed attending. The entertainment and dancing was great to watch!

3. Nahed (Umayyahs mum) says:

The medieval banquet was great fun and there was some great costumes. I’m really looking forward to sports day on Thursday. I’m sure you will have great fun.

4. Lisa Mason says:

Anya has been busy writing a World Cup acrostic this weekend, I’m very impressed you are all poets now! We can’t wait for sports day, will the parents get to race on space hoppers too??!!

5. Michelle Webster says:

Ollie W is very giddy about the Argentina match but with an 8pm start he may be a bit tired in the morning for sports day 🙂

6. Davina (Keivas Mummy) says:

The medieval banquet looked so briiliant and it’s a shame I missed out the dancing! I can’t wait to read Keiva’s poem and I hope to be there for keiva on sports day, x

7. Tracy(Lucas mum) says:

The medieval banquet was excellent Lucas said he loved the pottage also the castles are fab looks like you spent a long time on them Lucas has loved the topic hope there is exciting ones like this in year 2.

8. Zoe (Ruby's mum) says:

It has certainly been a very busy couple of weeks and I hope you have all enjoyed yourselves as much as Ruby has. Ruby used multiplication last week to work out how many days were left in Yr 1 with Mrs James and Mrs Galbraith. I am looking forward to seeing you all in your team colours on sports day and I hope it stays nice and sunny!

9. Ellen (Rhys mum) says:

Hope everyone is excited about their last 7 days in year 1! Rhys stayed at his grandma and grandads on Sunday and he was allowed to watch the beginning of the World Cup final. Rhys wanted Argentina to win! Rhys has really enjoyed his castles topic and we will be going to visit Edingburgh castle in the summer holidays. I hope he can remember all his castle facts to teach his mum, dad and sisters x

10. Kate (Charlie's mum) says:

We all really enjoyed the banquet last week. The dancing was fantastic! Tom & Lucy can’t wait to start school so they can do just as many exciting things.

11. Claire (Evie's mum) says:

What a lot of fun you are having in the last few days of term. We have had fun at home using alliterations to describe things in the house!
    We are looking forward to sports day and hope the weather stays nice.

12. Rajinder (Ryan's Mum) says:

Really enjoyed the banquet last week. It was lovely to see all the children dressed up.

13. Gemma (Luke's mum) says:

Luke is really looking forward to sports day and I will be there to cheer him and his friends on! Luke has really enjoyed year 1 and I hope he has a very fun last few days before they break up.