Another dinotastic week!

Friday 16th January | 15 comments
0

In maths this week we have been learning about finding the difference. The children had to find the difference between two towers of bricks. Some children still find this quite tricky – maybe they could practise at home building their own towers. If one tower has 6 bricks and the other tower has 9 bricks what is the difference? We have also been doing lots of problem solving. The children had to read a problem and then decide if it was an addition or subtraction before they calculated the answer.

We have been finding out lots of facts about the stegosaurus in literacy. What facts can your child remember? The children then wrote sentences and used Text ease to present the facts they had found out.

In our art lessons we learnt all about the artist Pablo Picasso and the children have begun to create a painting on a canvas in his style.  These will be on display at our ‘Art Gallery’ on Friday 13th February.

In science we got a letter from a dinosaur – it was very exciting! Deirdre Diplodocus was scared as the Tyrannosaurus Rex kept spotting her footprints and was trying to catch her. She needed their help to protect her. The children were keen to help and soon got investigating which surface would be the safest for her to walk on. They tested flour, clay, sand, soil, stone and wood. Which do you think would be the best?

In our indoor PE lesson we have been continuing with our unit based on gymnastics. The children have been travelling and balancing on the apparatus. Please make sure that your child has their PE kit in school and if they have long hair it is fastened up.

Thank you to everyone who has returned their art gallery reply slips and have offered to help. We have plenty of spaces on the minibuses for parent volunteers.

Remember that Monday 19th is a training day – enjoy your long weekend.
The Year 1 Team

15 responses to “Another dinotastic week!”

1. racheljames says:

I’m really pleased that you were able to help Deirdre. She is very scared of the Tyrannosaurs Rex but your super science skills will help her to be safe. Well done Year 1.

2. Zahrah says:

I am enjoying the topic of art, my favourite part of it is doing my picture of a guitar.

3. Sarah S says:

Serena has really enjoyed all her Dino homework, she is even singing the dinosaur song!

4. Betsy says:

I watched Walking With Dinosaurs and it was a little bit scary but I loved it.

5. Betsy says:

I loved helping deardre the dinosaur finding what she could walk on.

6. Adele Bowden says:

Sally was very excited to tell me all about how the dinosaur visited the class on Friday.

7. Stevie says:

Had great fun in class helping to save Deirdre. Stevie also says a T-Rex can have teeth that are 30cm long !

8. Katie NW says:

I enjoyed the science experiments and if a dinosaur was chasing me a would walk on stones. My mum showed me a little bit of Jurrasic Park. My favourite dinosaur is the T-Rex because it has sharp teeth.

9. Amanda says:

Corday has really enjoyed learning about the Dinosaurs, his favourite is the T-Rex because its “The king of the dinosaurs and the best fighter”!!
    He loved telling us all about helping Deirdre get away from her footprints!

10. Maya says:

I enjoyed learning about Stegosaurus and I watched Jurrasic Park to see how the dinosaurs used to live.

11. Deirdre Diplodocus says:

Thank you very much for helping me. I am now safe and the Tyrannosaurus Rex can’t find me. I have enjoyed looking at your blog – you have done lots of fun things in Year 1.
    Love from Deirdre x

12. Daniel's mum says:

Daniel is enjoying learning about dinosaurs and told me that the stegosaurus’ plates can change colour!

13. Huzaifah says:

My favourite dinasour is T.Rex . I had fun learning about dinasour .

14. Laura says:

I loved doing my piece of art work, I can’t believe we have a message from Deirdre….
    I loved doing gymnastics in p.e and showing other children my moves.

15. Laura's Mum says:

Laura is still in shock that there is a message from Deirdre!! Her favourite dinosaur is the Tyrant Lizard King, easier to say than The Tyrannosaurus Rex!