Another busy week of learning!

Thursday 5th February | 6 comments
0

This week we have been reading the book ‘Katie’s Picture Show’ by James Mayhew. This is an exciting story where Katie visits an art gallery with her grandma and some of the paintings come alive! The children then chose a picture that inspired them and wrote their own amazing stories. We will be using these stories to help us assess what level your child is writing at and how much progress they have made. Mrs Loveridge has been doing individual phonic assessments and practising the Year 1 Phonics test that they will do in June.

In maths we have been busy doubling and halving. The children had fun painting spots on a butterfly and then doubling the spots and writing the calculation. They’ve also been doubling and halving using pennies. We’ve been updating their individual maths assessments – we will discuss this at parent’s evening in March.

In art we’ve been looking at the artist Hundertwasser and creating our own pieces of art using paper strips. Remember we are visiting Leeds City Art Gallery next week – your child needs to bring a packed lunch in a disposable bag. Our own art exhibition will be in the North Hall at 2.30pm on Friday 13th February. We are looking forward to sharing our amazing work with our families. Please return your slip so we know how big the crowd will be!!

We will be visiting our ‘adopted trees’ next week – please make sure that your child has a pair of wellington boots in school.
Have a lovely weekend.
The Year 1 Team

6 responses to “Another busy week of learning!”

1. zahrah says:

I enjoyed this topic of Katie and the starry night. I really liked the story. My favourite part was all of the story.

2. Huzaifah says:

I liked this because it was fun. Me and Jack did a storyboard together and I had lots of fun.

Huzaifah

3. Maya says:

I love the book and I Can’t wait for the trip. I Wish I could jump into a picture like Katie!

4. Katie's Mum says:

Katie really enjoyed the story but kept telling us it wasn’t really her!!!
    Enjoy your trip to the art gallery on Monday. What masterpieces will you find?

5. Jf says:

I love the work you have been doing and I like that
    story and that’s to all of year 1.

6. Keanush says:

I really like the way you’ve tried to make easyer for the children to half and double.