Slime, jelly, number bonds, ice balloons, painting, tasting, puppet pals, red noses….just a typical week in Year One!

Friday 13th March | 10 comments
0

This week we have linked our literacy lessons to our science work and have had fun using our senses to write poetry. We began by learning what onomatopoeia means and had fun using our voices to say words like whizz, crash, zap and pow!

We also looked at shape poems and using our senses wrote poems about ice balloons and slime – messy but fun!

Then we tasted, smelt, touched, listened and looked at jelly and wrote a word bank to describe the jelly …

Finally we wrote our own poems about jelly…

In science we have been looking in detail at our sense of taste and how our taste buds work when we taste sweet and sour things. They tasted lots of things including onions, mints and marmite – judging from their faces we know which they preferred!

We have also had lots of fun doing ‘blind paintings’. We looked at the work of the artist Esref Armagan and then had a go at painting without using our sense of sight. It was quite tricky!!

In maths we have been using our knowledge of number bond families to help us solve number bond triangle calculations and worded problems e.g. There were 12 skeletons at a party. 8 more arrived. How many were there altogether? The children need to be able to recall the number bonds to 10 and 20 quickly and confidently. Does your child know them all? Click here and here for some fun games.

In ICT the children have been using an app on the iPads called ‘Puppet Pals’. This week they used scenes and characters from Funnybones to act out and film simple stories. They will be using this app over the next few weeks to create their own ‘Chicken Movies’ – these will be shown at our chicken event on Tuesday 31st March. Thank you to everyone who has returned their reply slips.

Today we were very lucky because we had a special visitor. JamYang a Buddhist monk who runs the Tong Len charity in India came to visit us. He had a tour around school and we asked him lots of questions.

We have also had a very happy Comic Relief day today. The children wore their noses and some had very funky hair. We also told jokes and had a giggle! Saad’s joke really made us all laugh, “Why did the traffic light tell the cars not to look? …..Because he was changing!!”

Have a super weekend.
The Year 1 Team

10 responses to “Slime, jelly, number bonds, ice balloons, painting, tasting, puppet pals, red noses….just a typical week in Year One!”

1. Vicky Martin says:

The children have had an exciting week.

2. Laura says:

I loved seeing everyone in their red costumes with red noses too. We had a very important visitor to school and I got to ask him a question.

3. Harry P.'s Mum says:

These photos are great! What a happy time you’ve all had in school this week!

4. Maya says:

I enjoyed the slime and jelly, it has been a fun week, but I missed Comic Relief day, the photos of the class look really fantastic

5. Alison Thornton says:

What a fantastic, fun-filled week. Well done everyone!

6. Svana's mum says:

Wow! A very busy and exciting week. I know svana had lots of fun doing the senses experiments as she told me all about them. She had a fantastic day today and all the children looked fab with their red clothes and noses. Well done!

7. Sophie says:

I really liked doing the blind painting, it was messy! Splat!

8. Betsy says:

I enjoyed dressing up on red nose day. I enjoyed tasting the jelly too.

9. Max D says:

it really was a fantastic week with all this fun.

10. Eden ( Joseph sister) says:

Joseph is trying very hard and I am proud of him.