Not 1 or 2 but 3 Billy Goats Gruff in Year One and a TROLL!

Friday 1st May | 5 comments
0

This week in maths we have been busy practising subtraction. We have used number lines and hundred squares to solve calculations. We also had fun in our ‘sweet shop’ paying and giving change. Maybe your child could make a pretend shop at home and practise taking away using money e.g 20p – 7p = ?

In literacy we have been doing lots of great work based on the traditional story ‘The Three Billy Goats Gruff’. We have created our own masks and acted out the story – we had some very scary trolls!

The children then wrote speech bubbles for the characters and we used question and exclamation marks.

Jack must have told the Billy Goats Gruff how helpful we were planting his beans as we got a letter from them asking for help. The pesky troll kept breaking all the bridges and they couldn’t cross the river. After much excitement and discussion the children decided they would help and create their own bridges. This week we made them out of various construction sets and next week we are going to make them out of junk model materials. We hope they are strong enough!

The children all enjoyed the ‘S Factor’ grand final. Alfie was the year 1 winner and got a super science bubble set as his prize and Maya was the runner up and also got a small prize of a bubble making set. Well done to everyone who took part – you are all super scientists.

Enjoy the bank holiday weekend and the Tour of Yorkshire – hope the sun shines.

The Year 1 Team

5 responses to “Not 1 or 2 but 3 Billy Goats Gruff in Year One and a TROLL!”

1. Katie NW's Mum says:

What great fun you have had. Hope when you ‘trip trap’ over your bridges no nasty trolls pop out.

2. Huzaifah says:

I like doing maths. I enjoyed watching the s factor.

3. Katie NW says:

S Factor was great. I liked Maya’s experiment but all of them were good. Alfies in 1S was great

4. Katie NW's big brother Tom says:

I wisj we had done S Factor when I was at Farfield. It looks ace. Well done Year 1. Imagine what great scientists you will be by year 6!!!

5. Maya's mum says:

Well done to everyone who took part, Maya really enjoyed herself and it really boosted her confidence! It’s a great and fun way to enjoy science