Building bridges, writing stories and multiplication in Year One

Friday 8th May | 10 comments
0

In maths we have been learning all about arrays and multiplication. We have used cotton wool buds to print arrays on squared paper such as 3 lots of 4 is ?. We have also looked at different arrays and written the calculations 4 x 2 =

In literacy we have been writing our own stories based on the Three Billy Goats Gruff. The children thought of a different set of animals to cross the bridge and wrote their stories in a mini booklet. We had a real range of animals from polar bears to chickens! All of the children were very creative and really enjoyed writing their stories.

We have continued our work on bridges in Design and Technology. The children built some amazing constructions using a variety of materials. The goats will be happy that we helped them cross the river safely. The children have done some great bridge research in their leaning logs too. Well done!

Our seeds have grown brilliantly in the corridor and we now need to transfer some of them to the farm to be repotted into bigger pots and flower beds. The children have brought their magic beans home so that can look after them carefully. Will any of them grow so tall that they reach the clouds?

Have a lovely weekend.

The Year 1 Team

10 responses to “Building bridges, writing stories and multiplication in Year One”

1. Stevie's Mum says:

Wow your bridges look fantastic

2. Harry's Mum says:

Brilliant bridges Year 1 – The engineers of the future!

3. Kate park says:

They look like very strong bridges and excellent story writing . Well done year one

4. Katie NW's Mum says:

Great construction everyone. I love all the different bridges especially the different shapes you have used

5. Katie NW's big brother Tom says:

Looks like good fun in year one!!

6. Srihan's Mum says:

We can definitely see some budding architects! Lovely stories and brilliant handwriting! Well done year 1.

7. Sophie says:

I liked making my bridge and I like all of the other different bridges!

8. Svana's mum says:

Well done super bridges! I know svana had lots of fun and it looks like all the other children did too.

9. Corday says:

I liked making my bridge it was lots of fun.
    I liked doing the times work and was really happy to get special mention for doing good work.

10. Kobi's mum says:

Amazing bridges, well done guys x