Another half term of fantastic learning is over!

Friday 22nd May | 6 comments
0

We have had a busy week updating our individual assessments in writing, reading and maths in preparation for report writing. The children have worked very hard and we are really pleased with their progress – thank you for all your support at home too.

In literacy the children wrote an independent recount of their trip to Tropical World. They remembered to use time words such as first, then, after that and finally. They also used some great adjectives to describe many of the animals they saw. We have heard all the children read individually and many of them have moved onto the next book band – well done! The children have all handed their books in ready for the audit but we’ve updated ‘Bug Club’ so they could read books online during the holidays.

In maths the children have been doing lots of fun practical activities using many of the skills they’ve learnt so far this year.

We had some more special visitors in school this week during our science lesson. Mrs Booth brought George the tortoise, Mrs Wilson’s son Jacob, brought in a snake, a gecko and two frogs. The children enjoyed learning about these amazing animals. We then spent time discussing what features amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals have and sorted animals into these categories.

The children have done some super work in their learning logs and they are all now animal experts!

There is no learning log homework for the holiday but please can you help your child fill in their speech bubble about where in the world they have visited that was sent home. Remember lots of reading and phonics practice over the holiday is ideal especially as we have our phonics test soon. Thank you! Here are some websites to help – Phonics link and Literacy link.

Have a super half term holiday – we hope the weather improves! The Year 1 Team

Sent from my I pad

6 responses to “Another half term of fantastic learning is over!”

1. Katie NW's Mum says:

What great work you have all been doing. You must all be tired out and ready for a weeks rest. Well done to all the staff for some brilliant learning activities.

2. George the tortoise says:

I enjoyed coming into school and meeting all the wonderful children.

• y1team says:

Thank you for commenting on our blog George. How did you manage to type? Did Mrs Booth help you?

• George the tortoise says:

Hello again. I did have a little help from Mrs Booth to type, but I have been practising and typed this myself. My feet are quite small so they just fit on the keyboard. I’m going to play out in the sun now.
        Bye

3. George H says:

I loved Chloe because she was smooth and scaly.

4. Corday says:

I enjoyed you coming in to school as well George the tortoise. I liked holding you.