Welcome back for the final half term in Year 1!

Saturday 30th May | 3 comments
0

We hope you have all had a lovely holiday and are ready for the last half term in Year 1! We have lots of fun activities and events planned.

In literacy we will begin by looking at narrative texts. We will be reading ‘Sharing a Shell’ and ‘Billy’s Bucket’ and we will use these stories to help us write our final assessed piece of work of the year. Next we move onto pirate stories and we have lots of fun tasks planned linked to these books including our ‘Pirate Day’ on Wednesday 24th June. We will then be doing some work using information books and finishing the year with performance poetry.

The Year 1 phonics test will take place the week beginning the 15th June – thank you for all your support at home practising the digraphs and reading ‘real’ and ‘nonsense’ words. You will find out how well your child does when you receive their end of year report in July.

In maths we are developing our place value skills, then revisiting everything we have learnt this year including time, shape, measuring, addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.

In geography we are going to be busy looking at maps, globes and atlases. We will be learning about the continents and oceans. Does your child know any of them already? Can they find any countries on a map? Do they know any capital cities? During the week beginning the 29th June we are going to go on a tour of the British Isles!! The children will be having lots of fun learning about England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

We will be plant detectives in our science lessons and will be exploring our school grounds, the farm and Blackhill woods to learn about different types of plants, life cycles and parts of plants.

Phew! What a busy and exciting final half term in Year 1.

Sent from my I pad

3 responses to “Welcome back for the final half term in Year 1!”

1. Saira (zahrah's mum) says:

I can’t wait to read the wonderful books when I come back to school.

2. Maya says:

I’ve got sharing a shell and it’s a great book. I’m looking forward to going to Blackhill Woods