Telling the time, plants, fantasy settings and aerial photographs!

Friday 12th June | 8 comments
0

In literacy we have been reading the story ‘Billy’s Bucket’. The children had fun creating their own fantasy setting that was at the bottom of their bucket. They thought of some amazing places including fairgrounds, planets, magical castles and tropical islands. They then used adjectives to describe their setting. Next, we moved onto planning our stories using a story mountain and then finally we wrote our stories independently. The children all tried very hard and wrote some fantastic fantasy stories. We will be using this story to help us give the children an end of year level for their writing.

In maths, we have been practising telling the time. We have been playing various games to help us read o’clock, half past, quarter to and quarter past. We also had fun using sand timers to see what different tasks we could do in 1, 2 and 5 minutes. How many numbers could you write in 1 minute? How many star jumps can you do in 2 minutes? We’ve also been learning how to spell the days of the week and months of the year.

In geography, we’ve been learning about aerial maps. We began by going for a walk around our school and its grounds and looking at key features. We then moved onto labelling an aerial photograph of the school.

We have been plant detectives in science. The children dropped a hoop on our school field and looked carefully to see what they could find and if they could name any of the plants and their parts.

The phonics screening check will take place next week. Mrs Loveridge will check each child individually and you will be given their result with their end of year report.

Thank you to everyone who has returned their Blackhills letter. All parents who have offered to help are welcome on this trip – we will talk to you about car sharing and travelling to the campsite next week.

Have a super weekend.

The Year 1 Team

8 responses to “Telling the time, plants, fantasy settings and aerial photographs!”

1. peterharris says:

This all looks like another exciting week in Year 1! I really liked looking at the photographs, especially the ones of you being plant detectives in the school grounds. I think that we should leave more of the school fields left un-mown as we get a richer variety of plants growing and wildlife will like it.

2. Katie NW's Godmothers Jane and Ruth says:

Wow.
    This is the first time we have read the blog and we didn’t realise how exciting Year one is.
    All the activities look fantastic and you all look to be having so much fun. Well done everyone for super learning.

3. Katie NW's big brother Tom says:

Looking at all the pictures reminds me of when I went to Farfield and I might get to meet some of you at the camp over!

4. corday says:

I liked learning about the time it was fun. my favourite part was the game we played.
    I really liked been a plant detective looking for all the different flowers.
    year 1 is fun!

5. Daniel's mum says:

What super learners you are an what a busy week you’ve had! Keep up your detecting, you’ll be amazed at what you will find.

6. Maya says:

I enjoyed Billy’s bucket it’s a great story.I liked writing my own fantasy story

7. Isaac C says:

Dear Mrs Galbraith, I like Billy’s Bucket and I love sorting words out in phonics lessons.

8. Katie NW's Dad says:

I keep hearing all about Billys Bucket so I think we need to buy the book!! Great work Year One.