Ahoy there shipmates!

Friday 19th June | 2 comments
0

What an exciting week in Year 1 – we even had a visit from a pirate who helped us with our literacy work. We have been reading lots of different pirate stories and we worked with a partner to write speech bubbles and draw settings for our own exciting pirate stories. Next we drew a story map and finally we wrote our own pirate stories. The children enjoyed these tasks and wrote some brilliant stories. They are using all the things they’ve learnt throughout the year including conjunctions, adjectives and different types of punctuation. All the children have completed the Year 1 phonics screening and all were the best they can be – well done! Their results will be sent home with their end of year report in July.

In maths we have been developing our addition and subtraction skills – some children were introduced to using a blank number line. We also revisited finding the difference and used numicon to help us find the answers. Some children still find this quite difficult for example what is the difference between 7 and 10? We then moved onto finding the difference using money. You have 10p. You spend 8p. How much do you have left?

We have been learning how to use a compass in our geography lessons and the children have had fun playing various games to help them learn North, South, East and West. We will be using compasses and maps at Blackhills next week. They also used a game on the laptops on a programme called Purple Mash. They had to move various creatures around the screen following directions. The children can access Purple Mash at home by clicking this link. They need to log on with the username that they were given at the start of the year and the password is pass.

We continued being plant detectives and this time we explored the school farm. Can your child remember anything that they found? Did they find different plants this week?

We are looking forward to seeing lots of you at the camp over – hope the weather is good.

Have a great weekend.

The Year 1 Team

2 responses to “Ahoy there shipmates!”

1. Maya says:

I enjoyed using the blank number line, it was hard but then it got easier. I liked using the compass outside, it was fun. I enjoyed looking at plants at the farm.

2. Zahrah says:

I loved goaing to the farm my faivrt was tuchin the pees and having my pichur taicern.