A dotty, arty week in Year One and lots of maths support for home!

Friday 18th September | 4 comments
0

This week we have been very arty! We learnt about self portraits and looked at examples and discussed if we liked them or disliked them. The children were amazed by how life like some of them were and thought that they were actually photographs and not paintings. They then looked carefully in a mirror and painted their own self portrait.  They are on display in our classrooms – can you guess who is who?

1GJ

1S

We have been enjoying the story ‘The Dot’ by Peter H Reynolds. Did you know that Tuesday 15th September was international dot day?

The story is about having a go even if you think you can’t do something. This lovely story inspired us all to create our own dot pictures and these will be on display in the dining room.  Please click here if you would like to enjoy this wonderful story at home or here if you would like to enjoy the ‘Dot Song.’

In maths we have been busy assessing the children and seeing what numbers they can read, write and recognise and lots of other number skills. Next week we will begin our daily literacy and maths sessions – the children are very excited about working in their books!

The children enjoyed their first PE lesson and had fun playing lots of new games. They have also got an ICT username and password and we have all practised logging on to a laptop.

It was lovely to see lots of parents and children at the maths workshop on Tuesday. Please click here and follow this link for more information about maths at home and supporting your child with maths. There are a range of games here to help support your child’s learning.

The reading meeting is on Tuesday 22nd September – the children don’t need to come to this talk but they can play in the crèche. Remember that the Scholastic Book Fair will be in school from Wednesday 23rd until Monday 28th September.

Thank you to everyone who has returned their consent slip for our trip to the nature reserve at Denso Marstons. Just a reminder to please send a special soft toy to school with your child on Monday. It will stay in school for the whole week so do not sent a special bedtime bear. Also please can you send a photograph of your child when they were a baby? It will be used for the history lesson next week.

A few photographs from another busy week:

Have a great weekend.

The Year 1 Team

4 responses to “A dotty, arty week in Year One and lots of maths support for home!”

1. janefisher says:

Wow! What an amazing week you have all had in Year 1. Your Dot pictures are amazing! It was brilliant to see everyone’s ‘Dots’ going up in the dining hall; it will look very cheerful and will remind us all that when something feels difficult to do, we just need to make a start.
    I’m looking forward to finding out about what your soft toys get up to next week too! well done, from
    Mrs Fisher 🙂

2. Kirsty (Charlie's mum) says:

I have enjoyed sharing the blog with Charlie and looking at all the fantastic photos, you all look like you have enjoyed a very busy week. Charlie told me all about ‘The Dot’ and we sang along to the song after watching the story. I am looking forward to seeing the self portraits in the flesh and the dot pictures in the dining room.

I likt the maths gamz. (typed by Charlie – we liked funny mummy!)

3. Carolyn (Florrie's mum) says:

Florrie has been very excited about the art sessions. She told me all about the dot story and sang the song to me. We found them online and watched them at home on the computer.
    She wanted me to find the self portraits this morning and guess which one was her – I did have a clue that she’d done a very big smile by accident.
    She was very proud of her number sheet too. It looks like they’ve been having a lot of fun!

4. Karan (Joven's mum) says:

Joven has made a great start to year 1 and has been talking about the activities at home. Joven loved the Dot song and pictures. He is looking forward to the upcoming school trip. Its great to see how busy 1s and 1GJ have already been!!! Keep up the good work!!!