Vegetables, painting, poems, adjectives, timelines and number bonds!

Friday 2nd October | 9 comments
0

This week in maths we have been busy doing addition calculations using Numicon. We have also been practising our number bonds to 10.

In year 1 the children need to know these and be able to recall them quickly. We had fun using shaving foam blobs to create our number bond calculations. Click here to play on this fun number bond game.  Can your child tell you any pairs of numbers that make 10? Can they sing you the number bond song?

1 add 9, 1 add 9, 9 add 1, 9 add 1. Bring them altogether, bring them altogether. That makes 10, that makes 10!

2 add 8, 2 add 8, 8 add 2, 8 add 2. Bring them altogether, bring them altogether. That makes 10, that makes 10!

3 add 7, 3 add 7, 7 add 3, 7 add 3. Bring them altogether, bring them altogether. That makes 10, that makes 10!

4 add 6, 4 add 6, 6 add 4, 6 add 4. Bring them altogether, bring them altogether. That makes 10, that makes 10!

5 add 5, 5 add 5, 5 add 5, 5 add 5. Bring them altogether, bring them altogether. That makes 10, that makes 10!

The number bond of the week is 5+5 =10, 10-5 = 5.

In literacy we read the story Oliver’s vegetables.

image

We used this book to help us write our own vegetable poems. We began by tasting lots of vegetables and then used adjectives to describe them.

The children thought of some great adjectives including crunchy carrots, ruby red, ripe rhubarb and squishy, small, soft peas. We then wrote poems in small groups. These are our super class poems. Can you spot any alliteration?

Our fantastic five challenges this week were –
1. Painting a fruit or vegetable
2. Using different media to draw a fruit or vegetable

3. Reading a book in the book area and earning a raisin!

4. Drawing around numicon and numbering it.

5. Independent writing – I had a yummy pear

Most children are enjoying these challenges and many of them are choosing to have a go and completing all five every week. How many did your child do this week?

In our history lesson we continued to learn about the past and timelines.

We have been plant detectives in our science lessons and visited our school farm. We picked a variety of fruit and vegetables and discussed how they grow. We also used the tweezers and magnifying glasses to look very carefully inside them to see if they had seeds.

Thank you for all your lovely comments on our blog – the children really enjoy reading them.

Remember we are making soup on Monday 5th October – everyone is welcome to come and enjoy it from 2.40pm in the dining hall.

Individual photographs will be taken on Tuesday 6th October.

Have a super weekend.
The Year 1 Team

9 responses to “Vegetables, painting, poems, adjectives, timelines and number bonds!”

1. peterharris says:

This looks like a very exciting week. I loved looking at your photographs and the vegetable pictures that you had made. Do keep practising your number bonds to 10 as this is VERY important for all the maths that you do in school.

2. Claire, Phoebe's mum says:

What a busy week! Phoebe has enjoyed it so much she’s even remembered enough to tell me about on the way home! (Instead of the usual ‘can’t remember’!). I’m very much looking forward to tasting this soup on Monday

3. Karen Chaudhari - Nathan's Mum says:

You have been busy Year 1…looks like you’ve been having great fun too. Nathan is enjoying the fantastic 5 jobs and enjoyed painting a pepper and drawing a carrot. Judging by the photo and what Nathan said, he wasn’t too keen on the beetroot!!

4. Emma Heywood says:

Wow year 1 have been busy bees! Looks like you have been having lots of fun learning.

5. Anna says:

Wow, what a busy week you’ve year 1! Olivia’s really enjoyed working with veg and trying the different ones from the farm. X

6. Kirsty (Charlie's Mum) says:

It was lovely to share the blog with Charlie, we played the alien maths game and enjoyed listening to the number bond song. It sounds as if you have done lots and I enjoyed all the photos of the children investigating seeds!

7. Owen Heywood says:

i have been doing my number bonds

8. Owen Heywood says:

I can do my 2, 3, 5 and 10 times tables all by myself. I love been in year 1

9. Simran says:

I found the maths games in easy-hard.