Exploring our five senses, number problems and a mystery egg!!

Friday 26th February | 11 comments
0

We have been investigating our five senses this week. We began by exploring different objects and testing if we could touch, taste, see, hear or smell them. We then used this to help us think of similes. The children thought of some great ideas – “as wobbly as a bouncy castle”, “as sticky as snot”, “as red as blood”.  In our next literacy session we had fun with jelly!! We used our senses to describe it and then wrote our own jelly poems using lots of similes. We have practised our cursive writing, read in a group during guided reading and also had our daily phonic session.

In maths we have been solving lots of one step addition and subtraction problems. The children had to read the problem, write the calculation and then solve it using a variety of apparatus e.g. counters, number lines and numicon.

In our topic lessons we have been learning about taste and touch. We looked carefully at our tongues and learnt about how our taste buds work. We then tasted a variety of things including pickled onions and mints and decided if they were sweet, sour or bitter.

We also looked at art work by the artist Esref Armagan who is blind. The children were amazed that he had created his pieces of art without sight. They were all challenged to create a piece of art wearing a blindfold and only using their sense of touch – this got quite messy!!

Thank you to everyone who has brought books and resources for our hospitals. The children are having fun wrapping their friends up in bandages!

We have had our first writing session with the university students and it was very exciting! The children had to read and follow clues and go on a hunt around the school grounds. At the end of the hunt they found a giant mystery egg. What is growing inside it?  Is is a crocodile? A dragon? A duck? They’ll have to wait and see.

Remember that we are celebrating World Book Day on Thursday 3rd March. All the staff are busy creating their outfits! We are looking forward to seeing the children dressed up.

Have a lovely weekend.

The Year 1 Team

11 responses to “Exploring our five senses, number problems and a mystery egg!!”

1. Emma Heywood (Owen's mum) says:

Wow! Solving, investigating and hunting what busy bees you all are. I love seeing pictures of you in the hospital. Great picture of Owen in scrubs.

2. peterharris says:

What a fantastic week! Year 1 does look so much fun (and good learning!). It was a shame that Ms Sedman missed it all this week but she would have been proud of how good the class were in her absence. The supply teacher said that the class were lovely and she would definitely like to teach them again. She was very impressed by the children’s standard of work, especially in maths.

Well done!

3. Kirsty (Charlie's mum) says:

It has been fun sharing the blog with Charlie – he told me all about eating jelly and what similies are. The painting sounds like great fun, Charlie said it was very messy and he couldn’t find the colours!! I wish I could have come on the egg hunt I wonder who is inside?

I miss you Ms Sedman. Love Charlie congratulationsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

4. Sheila Singh (Ashwins mum) says:

Ashwin has enjoyed tasting the pickled onions…. These are his favourite. He’s told me all about the senses and how they work. Great learning.

5. Karen Chaudhari (Nathan's Mum) says:

Nathan really enjoyed getting the clues and finding the BIG egg. The work you have been doing on the senses looks great fun…especially the jelly tasting! I’m sure it has helped you to remember how important each of the senses is and sometimes how we take them for granted.

6. Mystery thief says:

I have taken your egg!

• Class 1GJ says:

Who are you? Why have you stolen our egg? Please can you give us our egg back. We are looking after it. Make sure that you take very good care of it. We don’t know what is growing inside it! From Class 1GJ

• Class 1S says:

Please give us our egg back! It is ours and not yours. We want to keep it and see what is inside it because we have been looking after it. If you are the egg’s parent it is ok but you should have asked first. If you are a thief then we shall call the police. From the children of 1S.

7. Simran says:

I hope we find the egg and I also hope we find the robber who took it.

8. Jakob says:

Please can you give our egg back or else we will call the police and they will put you in prison.

9. Miss Jasper, Gray and Clark says:

Dear 1S

I am so sorry we couldn’t make it last Friday, we were very busy working in the detective department looking for that missing egg! I hope you have all been practising your detective work and trying to work out who the mystery thief is!

We are coming back tomorrow to hear all of your ideas so get your detective caps on ready!

From
    Detectives Jasper, Gray & Clark