Division and chickens!

Friday 18th March | 4 comments
0

In maths this week we have been learning about division and the children have been taught how to record division calculations and use the symbol ÷. The children enjoyed doing lots of practical division and sharing eggs between hens and egg boxes. “Share 12 eggs between 3 egg boxes.” Click here for a fun game.

Some children also looked at grouping objects into sets. Click here for a game.

We have continued to write and illustrate our non fiction chicken books in our literacy lessons. This week we have written pages about habitats, food, predators and poo! The children are very proud of their books and are looking forward to sharing them with their families on the 1st April. In our guided reading sessions we have been reading non fiction books again and most children are now confident using the contents page, glossary and index.

In science we learnt about the life cycle of the chicken. The children had fun deciding which came first – the chicken or the egg? They sequenced the life cycle and also wrote about it in their chicken books.

Now the weather is improving we will be doing more of our PE lessons outside. Please make sure that your child has some appropriate trainers or pumps that fit and they can run about safely in.

Remember that the children are only in school on Monday and Tuesday next week as we have two training days and then it is the Easter weekend. The decorated egg competion will be judged on Tuesday 22nd March – please put all entries on the stage in the hall.

Have a lovely weekend – we hope the sun shines.

The Year 1 team

4 responses to “Division and chickens!”

1. Anna says:

I can’t wait to see all the work Y1 have been doing on the chickens. Olivia was really excited to show us her Hen life cycle, she talked us through the stages! Brilliant work!

2. Kirsty (Charlie's mum) says:

It has been lovely to shared the blog with Charlie – he has shown me how to work out divisions and we enjoyed playing on the games – Charlie has now learnt about remainders!

We are looking forward to coming to the Chicken presentation and seeing all your hard work. Hope you are all enjoying decorating your eggs!

I have learnt lots about remainders.

3. Sheila Singh (Ashwins mum) says:

We are so excited to see the fabulous work year 1 have been doing on chickens. Ashwin has enjoyed the work on fractions, doubling and halving. Looking forward to the Easter break.

4. Kirsty (Charlie's mum) says:

Thank you so much Year 1 including all the staff for a fantastic morning it made me smile lots and I feel like I know lots more about chickens!

You have clearly worked really hard and thank you for all your time and effort.