From farm to fork or should we say spoon!

Monday 3rd October | 6 comments
15

We have had a very busy and fun day making our delicious vegetable soup. We began by visiting the school farm in the bright sunshine and harvested beetroot, carrots, onions, leeks, tomatoes, swede, courgette, chives, thyme, rosemary, Jerusalem artichokes, beans, squash and some HUGE parsnips.

We then washed all the vegetables and peeled, grated and chopped them up. We learnt new skills and also how to handle various tools safely. Next we put all the ingredients in a pan and added the vegetable stock and finally, when it was all cooked, we blended it. The children have worked very hard and we have all thoroughly enjoyed our farm to spoon day.

We hope you all enjoyed tasting it!

Thank you to the family and friends that supported us this afternoon.

6 responses to “From farm to fork or should we say spoon!”

1. peterharris says:

The children worked very well on the farm and clearly really concentrated when making the soup. I liked both the soups: the yellow one was a more conventional vegetable soup and the one with the beetroot was a spectacular colour!

I was really pleased to see the giant parsnip: what a whopper!

Meanwhile, the champion pumpkin grows and grows…

2. Danielle (Ayla's Mum) says:

How cool is this!!! I’m very impressed. Making soup is hardwork. Ayla’s Grandma and Granddad said it tasted lovely!

3. Zoe Webb (Jack Shann's mum) says:

What brilliant pictures and Jack looks so proud holding that giant parsnip (my favourite vegetable). I wish I could have come today (boo to work) and tasted these lovely soups. It looks like a fantastic day and the children look like they had so much fun. Can’t wait to hear all about it tomorrow.

4. Ellen (Erin's mum) says:

Glad we managed to come and taste the delicious soup. I love beetroot so thought the red soup was best. You are so lucky to have a farm at your school and learn about all these vegetables. Looks like you had lots of fun chopping and peeling too! Well done year 1.

5. Vaughn's mum says:

The children all did so well making the soup! Thank you for inviting us to come and join in the tasting. Both soups were really yummy and packed with lovely veg. The farm is such a wonderful resource to have on-site. Vaughn really enjoyed the day!

6. Amber Hendy says:

I Liked the soup it was so delicious! I Loved the enormous parsnip. Matilda.