Buckets, place value, maps and phonic success in Year 1!

Friday 15th June | 7 comments
11

In literacy we have been reading the story ‘Billy’s Bucket’. The children had fun creating their own fantasy setting that was at the bottom of their bucket. They thought of some amazing places including fairgrounds, planets, magical castles and tropical islands. They then used adjectives to describe their setting. Finally, we moved onto planning a story using a story mountain.

Thank you for all your support with phonics. All the children have completed the screening and they all tried their best. We are very proud of them all – well done Year 1!

We have had more fun with place value in maths. The children are now confident using tens and ones and talking about place value with more confidence.

In geography we have learnt about the British Isles. The children have enjoyed learning facts about each country. Can they show you on a map where England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are? Can they remember the capital cities and describe the flags? All of Year 1 have picked a football team ready for the world cup – they have tried to find their country on a map. Some of them were quite tricky!

In our science lesson we had fun creating and testing our own parachutes. The children learnt about gravity pulling the parachute down and how the air gets trapped underneath it and slows it down.

Have a lovely weekend and happy Eid to all our families who are celebrating this weekend.

The Year 1 Team

7 responses to “Buckets, place value, maps and phonic success in Year 1!”

1. Mairi Beaton says:

I asked Finnan if he’d done the phonics challenge and he said no so I’m thinking you did a very good job of making it feel like it’s just a normal part of their daily work! We’re looking forward to following Serbia’s progress in the World Cup too…. 🙂

2. Dave Wilkinson says:

Another great week, although we are disappointed for Tunisia last night.

3. Katrina says:

Billy’s bucket is one of Arianna’s absolute favourite stories… she has been telling me all about Sweden and has loved going on google earth

4. Helen Massanet-Nicolau says:

Emilia has loved doing stories around Billy’s Bucket. She is enjoying the map project and was telling her grandad the capital cities this weekend!

5. Manpreet says:

Simon was really glad about this activity and telling me about billy’s bucket story . I gone through all pic seems all children enjoyed it

6. Christine (Isla's mum) says:

Isla really enjoyed the parachute project!

7. Joanne says:

Liams loved telling me all about this and we have even had a go ourselves at home . Welldone everybody .