More funky fruit and vegetable fun!!

Friday 19th October | 1 comment
7

We have continued with our work based on the story ‘Kitchen Disco’. We have had lots of fun creating our own fruit and vegetable characters and thinking of adventures they get up to when we are all asleep. We had apples jumping on the bed, a pineapple climbing up the curtains and even strawberries dancing the rumba!

In phonics we have revised oi, er, ure and ear. In handwriting we have looked at the one-armed robot family and have practised forming r, n and m cursively. We have also been reading and writing the tricky words was, his, has, you, one, ask, our and says. Over the next two weeks we will hear all the children read individually and we will update their Bug Club books. Many children have moved up to the next book band level – well done!

In maths we have been using the + and = symbols to create and write our own number sentences. We used Numicon to help us create them. The number bond family of the week is 6+4 =10, 4 + 6 = 10, 10 – 6 = 4, 10 – 4 = 6.

The children all enjoyed the harvest festival this morning. They were very proud of their soup movie!

They even squeezed in the odd veg joke!

In our Religious Education lessons this half term we have been learning about special books and why stories are important. All the children were asked to bring a special book from home to share with their friends. They all enjoyed this part of the lesson and had lots to say about their chosen books…”My mummy reads it to me at bedtime” “I have had this book since I was a baby and I have looked after it” “My book belonged to my daddy and he has given it to me”.

We then discussed different religions and looked at some of their special books including the Bible, the Qur’an, the Torah Scrolls, the Guru Granth Sahib, the Holy Vedas and the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures. Many of the children were able to talk about their own personal experiences of looking at these special books at home with their families.

We are looking forward to seeing you all at parents’ evening next week.

Have a great weekend.

The Year 1 Team

One response to “More funky fruit and vegetable fun!!”

1. Annie Preston’s mum says:

I love your vegetable jokes, they are very funny!