Favourite toys, place value and time lines!

Friday 20th September | 4 comments
18

Maths

This week we have been counting forwards and backwards, and filling in the missing number patterns. We have enjoyed playing a place value game with our partners. The children have tried hard to write the numbers in words to 10 too.

English

We have been reading the story ‘Nothing’ by Mick Inkpen. Nothing is a little bear who gets left in the attic and doesn’t know his name or who his family is. It’s a lovely book and the children enjoyed listening to it.

They all talked about their special toy and wrote about it using simple sentences.

In phonics we revised ck, nk, sh and ch. Please help your child practise reading the phonemes and words we have put in their reading record. We have also learnt how to read and write the following common exception words – I, my, do, to, is, no, go, me, of.  Your child needs to practise these words in their red spelling book which they brought home today. We have also practised forming o, g and q cursively and the digits 3, 4, 5 correctly.

History

We introduced the concept of a time line. Using cubes to represent each year we placed different aged people on a time line. They had fun trying to guess how many cubes the teachers would need!!

PSHE

This half term the children will be thinking about playground games and working together to create a class set of playground rules. They had fun learning some new games this week.

Computing

The children all enjoyed using ‘Bug Club’ on the laptops. They have all brought home a letter with their user name and password so they can play it with you too.

Thank you to everyone who has returned their soup reply – the children are looking forward to sharing it with you on the 2nd October.

Recent letters sent home

Have a great weekend.

The Year 1 Team

4 responses to “Favourite toys, place value and time lines!”

1. Mairi Beaton says:

Cate is very excited to do Bug Club at home, she’s been trying out password combinations all week in anticipation 🙂

2. Claire says:

It’s amazing how excited Theo is to read a bug club book compared with the regular ‘boring’ books. I think we may have to use bug club as a reward for reading a normal book

3. Sheila singh( vanshika mum) says:

Vanshika has told me all about the bug club and will be playing it at home.

4. Mark Allen says:

Theo has taken great pride in logging in to bug club and giving me the grand tour!