Amazing art, fantasy settings and maths fun in Year 1!

Thursday 30th January | 7 comments
12

English

We have enjoyed reading the story Katie and the Dinosaurs. Katie goes through a door which has a sign on it saying: ” Absolutely No Admittance Whatsoever”.

This story inspired us to use our imagination and create our own fantasy settings behind a door – we had alien moons, unicorn world, sweetie lands and lots more exciting places! The children drew and labelled their setting using some great ‘right choice’ words. Then they wrote about their lands using adjectives and conjunctions.

In phonics we have focused on a-e/ay/ai, or/aw/au and oa/o-e/oe.

Maths

We have been comparing numbers using the greater than and less than sign. All the children have worked hard to solve problems in their books too!

Computing

1P had fun learning about algorithms….we really enjoyed making delicious toast!

Art

1P enjoyed their trip to Cartwright Hall. They learnt lots of new art skills. Thank you to all the parents who came with us.

We have read the lovely book The Dot by Peter Reynolds. It inspired us to create our own dotty artwork. The children had fun using different media to make their own pieces of art.

We have also been looking at the work of the artist Pacita Abad. Her beautiful pieces of art have inspired us all and the children are busy creating and painting their own canvases. All our amazing art work will be on display on Thursday 13th February in our art gallery.

Have a great weekend.

The Year 1 Team

7 responses to “Amazing art, fantasy settings and maths fun in Year 1!”

1. Andrea Birk-Telford says:

Frederike loved making lots of art and I am not at all surprised she created a sweetie land.

2. Emma says:

Sofia has been keeping me updated on her canvas art. She’s so excited for the art gallery.

3. Satveer (Riya’s mum) says:

Riya has been telling me all about her canvas and I can’t wait to see it!

4. Sheila singh( vanshika mum) says:

Lovely art work by all the children. vanshika enjoyed the trip to the art gallery and looking at all the paintings.

5. Sabry Guen says:

I had a lovely little conversation with Sofia. She told me all sorts about her art work and mentioned Pacita Abad so we googled some of her art work. I think that Sofia really enjoyed her art activities this week, she was really enthusiastic about it

6. Amy Dennis says:

Lots of creativity happening this week!

7. June Parsons says:

Abigail is very excited about the Art Gallery.